Friday, May 15, 2009

I feel good in my running clothes

Run 18: Wednesday 5/13/09
Weather: 50 and lots of RAIN

Every day that I run, I get a little nervous about going out there. It's strange really, like a case of performance anxiety. Will I be too tired to run? Will I meet my goal for the day? But there's something about changing into my running clothes that wakes me up and gets me excited to go out there. Like I remember that part of myself that IS A REAL RUNNER, and I'm proud to be doing this. ;)

I started out a bit tired, and my recovery times were a little longer than the plan called for. I was getting soaked from the rain, but I also didn't overheat. By the end of my run, I was watching rain dripping off the brim of my hat and seeing the water droplets on my water resistant sleeves turn to big wet patches. There were a few other runners out today and we smile at each other when we pass. Like a mutual understanding of the dedication it takes to be out there on such a rainy day.

For my final run, instead of doing 5 minutes, I ran for 14 minutes without stopping!!! A new personal best! Two and 3/4 times around a 1/2 mile loop. Let's say roughly 1 1/3 miles?! I went slow and steady, and continued because, miraculously, I wasn't out of breath! But I decided to stop when I was really feeling body fatigue all over. I didn't want to wear myself out so much that I would need a couple days to recover! This, added to my other run times today, means I had a total run time of 25 minutes (and another maybe 10 minutes of walking).

1 comment:

  1. You are inspiring me to keep out there and get in shape too. Good job sis! I am so proud of you for sticking with it with such dedication. I bet that watching the rain drops fall from the brim of our hat was actually pretty neat.

    ReplyDelete